Progressive Librarians Guild is committed to:
- providing a forum for the open exchange of radical views on library issues.
- conducting campaigns to support progressive and democratic library activities locally, nationally and internationally.
- supporting activist librarians as they work to effect changes in their own libraries and communities.
- bridging the artificial and destructive gaps between school, public, academic and special libraries, and between public and technical services.
- encouraging debate about prevailing management strategies adopted directly from the business world, to propose democratic forms of library administration, and to foster unity between librarians and other library workers.
- critically considering the impact of technological change in the library workplace, on the provision of library services, and on the character of public discourse.
- monitoring the professional ethics of librarianship from a perspective of social responsibility.
- facilitating contacts between progressive librarians and other professional and scholarly groups dealing with communications and all the political, social, economic and cultural trends which impact upon it worldwide, in a global context.