Positions & Actions
Past PLG positions, actions, and news can also be found at Kathleen de la Peña McCook's Librarian blog and at Rory Litwin's Library Juice.
Ongoing PLG activities include,
- Hosts a list for PLG members. To subscribe, go here.
- Letters of support as an Openthegovernment.org coalition partner are at openthegovernment.org
- PLG endorses Historians Against the War (HAW) Statement.
- PLG endorses the Iraq Moratorium, (beginning in 2007) an organized method of protest for the third Friday of each month.
- PLG grants the Miriam Braverman Memorial Award, which encourages student papers concerned with an aspect of the social responsibilities of librarians, libraries, or librarianship.
- PLG local chapters host gatherings, programs, and events in their communities.
- PLG publishes Progressive
Librarian, a peer-reviewed journal that
serves as a forum for the development of critical
perspectives in librarianship. Progressive Librarian
includes articles, book reviews, bibliographies and
documents. Full text access to selected articles is
available through the Journal's Web site. PLG
also publishes PLG
Bulletin, a monthly newsletter on activities
and news from members.
- Progressive Librarians Guild adopted the Union Library Workers project, which chronicles ongoing activities of unions, libraries, and librarians. The project also compiles "There is Power in a Union," an annual review of labor activities for Progressive Librarian and initiates actions on behalf of labor, unions, and librarians.
- PLG endorses the International Principles on the Application of Human Rights to Communications Surveillance.
- PLG responds to the NSA mass surveillance issue in a letter to Open the Government.org.
- PLG Resolution on Divestment of Holdings in Fossil Fuel Companies and Libraries’ Role in a Peaceful Transition to a Fossil-Fuel-Free Economy.
- Progressive Librarians Guild's Statement on Occupy Wall Street.
- Response to McMaster University librarian Jeff Trzeciak from the Edmonton chapter of the Progressive Librarians Guild.
- Progressive Librarians Guild stands in solidarity with public employees.
- PLG Coordinating Committee issues statement On Wikileaks and the Library of Congress, December 4, 2010.
- Progressive Librarians Guild opposes the actions of the Hyatt Company. Read the resolution on the boycott. October 14, 2009.
- Progressive Librarians Guild supports the Right to Read Campaign in Gaza. The right to read is realized in Article 19 to include access to information, intellectual freedom, and right to communicate. Endorsing the Right to Read Campaign is in line with the 1997 Resolution on IFLA, Human Rights and Freedom of Expression. Endorsed June 21, 2009.
- Progressive Librarians Guild calls for Elsevier to End Corrupt Publishing Practices and for Library Associations to Take Advocacy Role on Behalf of Scientific Integrity, May 12, 2009.
- Progressive Librarians Guild Statement on WiFi in Libraries and the Precautionary Principle, June 16, 2008.
- The Progressive Librarians Guild stands in solidarity with the striking Vancouver Public Library workers of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) 391 as they fight for a fair and equitable contract that addresses pay equity, improvements to employee benefits, access to training, fair treatment of part-time and auxiliary library workers, protection against contracting-out and technological change, 8/1/207.
- The Progressive Librarians Guild Coordinating Committee endorsed a campaign by the Center for Constitutional Rights calling on Congress to restore the time-honored right of habeas corpus to prisoners being held at Guantanamo, 5/1/2007.
- The CPUSA archive donation to NYU. March 19, 2007.
- Progressive Librarians Guild Endorses the Petition to the U.N. General Assembly to Try President of the United States George Bush, Vice-President Dick Cheney, Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Condolezza Rice, and Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, 2/13/2007.
Jack", Mark C. Rosenzweig on Bush Budget and
Libraries, February 12.
- Progressive Librarians Guild Endorses AHA Resolution on United States Government Practices Inimical to the Values of the Historical Profession, 1/11/2007.
- Mark Rosenzweig's essay, Global War on Terror.
- PLG re-affirms its support for the Declaration of Cultural Human Rights, 12/20/2006.
- Progressive Librarians Guild supports the bookmobile project of Libros para Cuba (Books for Cuba), 11/06.
- PLG Condemns Violent Treatment of Mostafa Tabatabainejad at Powell Library, UCLA, 11/27/2006.
- The Progressive Librarian's Guild stands with Amnesty International, 10/17/2006.
- PLG supports Indianapolis librarians, 8/6/2006.
- PLG resolutions on Bush Impeachment and Immigration, 3/18/2006.
- PLG Opposes John Roberts' Confirmation to the Supreme Court, 9/21/2005.
- Progressive Librarians Guild opposes Laura Bush ALA award, 4/27/2005.
- Joint Letter to Senate Select Committee on Intelligence PATRIOT Act Oversight, 4/18/2005.
- San Francisco Bay Area PLG delegation supports read-in to keep Salinas Public Libraries open, April 2, 2005.
- Libros Si! ¡Bombas No!
- Resolution Against the Use of Torture as a Violation of the American Library Association's Basic Values, ALA Council, 6/2004.
- Librarians say no to occupation!
- Statement in opposition to library workers' involvement with the Terrorism and Information Prevention Systems (TIPS) program
- Emergency Declaration for a Halt to Preparations for Bombing Afghanistan 9/26/06
- Seattle Statement Citizens Shaping the Network Society | Seattle Statement @ Wayback Machine
- Open letter from librarians against the murder of people exercising the right to protest against corporate globalization at the Genoa conference. 7/25/2001.
- Marriott Boycott 6/19/2001 & at Library Juice.
- Presentation to the Vienna meeting of progressive librarians by Mark Rosenzweig, entitled What Librarians Believe: An International Perspective.
- Ten point program developed by Mark Rosenzweig for the groups which met at the Vienna Conference of progressive librarians sponsored by KRIBIBIE | En español "Diez puntos" en español.
- Letter on Socially Responsible Investing
- Letter in Protest on the Bombing of Iraq 12/18/1998.